Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I don't have a boyfriend ...but I have tons of crushes! : Part 1

I was inspired to write about this topic because of a colleague. We were chatting on Skype while I was trying to catch up on my E-learning course, and her finishing some tasks for Hotels that are under her care. Then all of a sudden, we started to talk about boys. According to her, I was "funny". Hmm. I asked her why, and she said it is because I don't usually join conversations regarding the topic and not only that...she thought that I don't have interest in men...ever! So untrue! And so I told her, "just because I do not have a boyfriend, it doesn't mean that I also do not have interest in men." It's quite the contrary to what people usually think of me (another colleague was pressing me to "come out" because they think I was lesbian! Ouch! Have nothing against gay people of course), I love Men and men only....I don't think I can live without them! *wink* Well, most of them would be actors; I would have to say that these men have inspired me one way or another. Because some of them followed their dreams amidst all odds! Courage, humility and dedication has always been my reason for admiring these individuals.


But most of them are stage actors and are not that popular. Well, with the exception of this one guy who has just starred in the most successful movie of all time!

Here's some of them:

CRAIG PARKER
This New Zealand actor gained international popularity when he played role of Haldir in the "The Lord of the Rings" until his life was cut short by an Orc at Helms Deep.
At the beginning I couldn't care less who he was because as an Elf, he wasn't as gorgeous as Legolas (Orlando Bloom). Instead he looked more of a "drag queen who had a binge-drinking the previous night!" However, as my obsession with anything Tolkien increased, I made sure that I knew every character both in the movie and the books, and these actors who played them (talk about being OC!). A fansite dedicated to LORT fans, The One Ring.Net
, had a news feed about his trip to Nepal. The show's name was The Intrepid Journeys. There were no video clips of this episode however the producers have provided us Craig's diary of the trip.As I read through his diary, I found my self hooked on every word that he was saying, not only that I was also laughing so hard that tears were trying to escape the corner of my eyes. Being a voracious reader, it is evident that he also hast talent for writing.
His very popular in Europe for all of those RingCon's that he has attended. I have taken the liberty to include some of them :)

pan style="font-size:100%;">






OSCAR ISAAC
An American actor with Hispanic descent and a graduate of Julliard school in NYC. Isaac has performed a couple of times at New York's Central Park for "Shakespeare at the Park" which is held every summer. In 2005, he starred in "The Two Gentlemen of Verona", this is a modern adaptation of Shakespeare as it was made into a Musical with Rosario Dawson as his leading-lady. The following year 2006, he played Romeo in "Romeo & Juliet" opposite Lauren Graham (Six Feet Under). I have seen a few clips of the play; unfortunately none of these exist in the internet anymore. For me, he made a great impression as Romeo. It figures as he was trained at Julliard for classical drama. It was a Galaxy of a difference compared to Leonardo DiCaprio's take (nothing against the guy, I just don't think he's an effective actor)! However, that is not where I came to know him. Isaac's first movie break came in 2006 in "The Nativity Story", playing the role of Joseph. The film was directed by Catherine Hardwicke (Twilight, 13, Lords of Dog Down), while the role of Mary went to Keisha Castle-Hughes (Whale Rider). For those who aren't in the know, Castle-Hughes is still the youngest actress ever to be nominated for an Oscar; she was only 13 years old back then.
Production team tried to be as authentic as they can not only for historical purpose but also to depict the hardship of these people who for the longest time was under Roman tyranny. They did not spoke in Aramaic though, unlike what Mel Gibson did for "Passion of the Christ". But unlike "Passion of the Christ" “The Nativity Story" has a smaller budget and teaching the entire cast an obsolete language would be very expensive. So the audience has to content themselves to hear Mary & Joseph speak in English but with a Mediterranean accent, which is not that bad if you ask me.
If you have already seen this film, you would understand when I say that it is more of a "Joseph" movie. It is probably the only one with this kind of theme, the movie was more focused on Joseph's (also Mary’s) plight in taking in a woman who has conceived out of wedlock, but took her any way because of his love for her and of his great faith. Oscar Isaac is the most endearing Joseph that I have ever seen. His emotions are palpable in his most simple gestures, facial expression and of course the way he delivers his lines. You would feel for him in his times of frustration and confusion, and can see the love for his young bride whenever he looks at her. Call it cheesy, but i enjoyed this film so much. Unfortunately, it didn't do so well at the Box Office with movie critics having mixed reviews about the film.
Anyhow, you will get to see more of this talented actor this year when "Robin hood" starring Russell Crowe is released.

No comments:

Post a Comment