Saturday, July 19, 2014

Good bye to a child hero: Hiroshi Tsuburaya 1964 - 2001


     I had learned of Hiroshi Tsuburaya's passing a few years ago, but this information has not sunken-in my consciousness until about a week ago. Tsuburaya was more popularly known in the late 80's to the early 90's as the blue metal hero Uchuu Keiji Shaider (Space Sheriff Shaider). With his school mate (turned girlfriend) from the Space Academy Annie, together they save the rest of Japan (get the humor?) from the evil forces of Great Emperor Kubilai (Fuma Lay Ar). Uchuu Keiji Shaider was first aired in Japan in 1984 - 1985, but did not reach Philippine shores until 1989 - 1990 and was aired on IBC 13. The program line up was started by another all time favorite Bioman which at that time was still dubbed in English and then followed by Shaider. In fact, the latter was the first of its kind to be dubbed in Filipino and the rest followed suite, from Animes to Tele Novelas.



     I was completely taken in by Alexis del Mundo's (Dai Sawamura in Japanese) dashing good looks, when he is not in his Shaider form. I even remember declaring that he is the most handsome Japanese actor I have ever laid eyes upon. And I still stand by my statement to this day! Alexis was every girls fantasy, and what a crush I had on him. Remember those times when you every single crush that you had, you would always give him the Code Name Shaider (this was the command that he shouts out to transform)? How about the infamous Fushigi Song? The one that would always play whenever Lay Ar and his cronies would manipulate the minds of their victims into doing their sinister work (everybody raise your hands in the air and swing 'em from left to right. There you go!)? While the girls swoon at Alexis' tantalizing eyes and full lips, the boys get all hyped up because of the Annie panchira (panty shots), what a bunch of peeping Toms!












     Those were the days when everything seemed well in the world, even for me. Unlike my other childhood hero Superman, whenever I think of Shaider I am only reminded of good times with friends and how much I wanted to be a butt-kicking heroine like Annie. That time our grandmother became more linient towards us and has let us run around and play out side our house with our friends. So I became less scrawny and fragile looking than I used to be. Happy and fond memories, that is what I have of Shaider. Those happy moments has compelled me to start believing in my self and my abilities. That I too can run as fast and jump as high as the other kids. If not by it, I would've been swallowed by self pity,jealousy, and resentfulness. I will always cherish those memories and shall be eternally grateful for them.

     It was recently announced that there will be a Shaider Next Generation. When I saw the tease trailer for it, my heart leaped because Naomi Morinaga aka Annie will be reprising her role after 20 years.


     She looks prettier with age. But I have to admit that I wasn't as happy when I saw the actor who will play the titular role. Okay, you're probably thinking how judgmental I am. I have nothing against the actor, it's just that I can be too bias and I cannot see anyone else playing the role of Shaider other than Hiroshi Tsuburaya. I suppose the new Space Sheriff deserves to be given a chance. Even Tsuburaya himself said that Shaider should not stop with him and that he should be enjoyed by the next generations to come as he and his ideals of doing the right thing for the greater good is timeless. I hope that they will pay him tribute in the movie because he truly deserves it.

     This month marks the 13th anniversary of Hiroshi Tsuburaya's passing. He passed away on July 24, 2001 due to liver cancer, he was only 37 years old. he was survived by his wife of eleven years and three children. an obituary for him can be found here. The last known interview of Hiroshi was during a convention a year before he died if I'm not mistaken. I highly suggest that you read this interview as you will get first hand insight of things that happened behind the scene while filming Shaider and of course a chance to know more about the man behind the mask. A bit of trivia: did you know that Jun Yamada aka Ida (Shenkan Po) was also in the running for the role of Shaider? He trained with Hiroshi for 2 month while awaiting announcements as who would get the lead role. The interview can be found here.

     I am sad that my childhood hero is no longer with us, but what makes it even sadder is that I never got to say thank you not even a good bye. All I can do is listen to "Shaider Blue" (a soundtrack from the show) and play in my mind a favorite scene where he was driving along the coast on his blue Isuzu Jeep. That's episode 15 if you would like to know. 

     And with that, I would like to say Arigatou Gozaimasu to my childhood hero, the one and only "Pulis Pang Kalawakan, (Space Sheriff) Shaider". And to the man beneath the suit, Hiroshi-san, Watashi wa, anata o aishiteimasu and Sayonara! Please know that you are loved not just by your family and peers, but also by the hundreds of thousands of children around the world who's lives you have touched. Be at peace Hiroshi-san.




     Please join me down memory lane as I present to you the very first episode of Space Sheriff Shaider. And as Ida would always say... "Time Space Warp ngayon din!"

 

    



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god, I agree! Dai/Alexis/Shaider was my childhood crush, and he is still my crush. Hiroshi Tsuburaya is still the most handsome Japanese actor, at least for me, even though he is long gone now. Ang pogi-pogi niya grabe, and I love his smile! Sayang siya :(

    You mean Jun Yoshida (not Yamada) as Ida/Priest Poe.

    ReplyDelete