Friday, July 23, 2010

Crushing on Allan Caidic!

For those of you who doesn't watch the Philippine Basketball Association or PBA, he is popularly known as "The Triggerman", Allan Caidic (which planet are you from?!). When my Grandmother died in October of 1996, my sister and I found our selves left all alone in a, well the house is pretty big for a family of three. Most of the time when I come home, I would turn-up the volume of the stereo really loud or even the TV because the silence is just deafening and yes...we are afraid of ghost! A childhood friend of mine always brags a bout the PBA, how astig Jojo Lastimosa is, and how ALASKA is the only Team outside of the NBA that uses the "Triangle Offense" (again for those who's not in the know, The Triangle Offense was and still is being used but primarily by Chicago Bulls, remember Michael Jordan?) I remembered that night when I was all alone in the house and it's already late in the evening when I decided to turn to Channel 13. There I saw JOLAS being interviewed by no less than Chino Trinidad (he use to have a show with his partner in crime Anthony "Mr. Pasalubong" Suntay called HOTSHOTS and we've never missed and episode!). It was half time then, but when the 2nd quarter of the game resumed, I started to turn-up the volume and tried to watch. I remembered asking myself when a player took a shot at the basket, "bakit two points kagad ang score?!" which only proves how ignorant I was of the game. And the rest as they say is history. The following two to three years, 1997-1999 would be the best years of my life to date! Watching live games, specially during championships are the best of all! I'm quite proud to say that when it comes to haggling with scalpers for court-side tickets, we are the best!

We didn't saw much of Caidic in 1997 as we were only able to watch the last Conference for the year, which is the Governor's Cup. Aside from the All Filipino Cup, The Governor's Cup is something we (Alaska fans) look forward to because of it's resident import Sean Chambers. This is also the year that Caidic had a career if not, life-threatening injury. He and his San Miguel Beermen team mate Nelson Asaytono collided in mid air while fighting for the rebound. Caidic fell awkwardly on the floor and hit the back of his head. I remember scenes of this incident being constantly replayed on every news channel. I remember Caidic squirming in pain and then he started to vomit before he lost consciousness.Then the moment that Jaworsky was infamously known for...he was caught on camera saying these words "ano ba? ang tagal naman niyan! tigok na ba?! (with matching cut-throat gesture). 

That's the "Living Legend" for you! Anyhow, we didn't saw him play until 1997 but we usually watch games where Alaska is competing againts Brgy. Ginebra, their archenemy. In all fairness to this team, boring ang buhay kung wala sila dahil mga panggulo lang talaga sila! He he he. Fast forward to the not so near future, Caidic became the Assistant Coach of Brgy. Ginebra in 2000, the year when Johnny Abarrientos and Sean Chambers would play for the last time as team mates. In Chambers' last game which was held at the Ynares Center in Antipolo City, my sister did everything we could to catch that game. We didn't care how expensive the ticket was as long as we can get in, even though the 3rd quarter's almost finished. And boy am I glad that we did went to that game, because it would be the last time (and so we though, because he did came back the following year) that our beloved import would be playing for Alaska (out of love and loyalty, he refuses to wear another team's jersey). As we entered the  arena, the guys at the entrance made us sign a survey for the All-Star game...then we saw Allan Caidic approaching our table looking at us. Catching his eye, I tried to look away, dyahe kasi! Oh come on ladies! We women always know when a guy is checking us out!!! When he was much closer to the table where we were standing, my sister and immediately left pretending that we did not noticed him and gave each other knowing looks after wards. "Uuuy, si Coach pa-cute!" Alaska eventually lost to whoever that team was, and then we tried look for their bus out side.
So many fans were swarming around the bus waiting, we all wanted to bid our beloved import farewell. When Sean came out, he was obviously surprised by the fans gesture. We were calling his name, saying "Thank you for everything" & "Come back next year!". He was even a bit teary-eyed. I stretched out my hand hoping to touch his arm, but instead he grabbed my hand and shook it for a while. Man, I was soo close to tears at that moment! Well, I cried on our way home and many days after that.

Many, many years later, I noticed that one of my Mum's doctors kinda looked like Allan Caidic (yun naman pala! pinahaba pa yung kuwento noh?). Since there is no picture of this doctor anywhere in the net si Allan na lang ang pinag-tripan ko. Which is not all bad, after reading so many articles about him, I realized that he's not only an exceptional player but also a good human being. Too bad he does not play any more, because I will do anything just to see him display his notorious 3 point shots once more.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment