Friday, March 5, 2010

Up in the Air


My sister and I saw this film just last March 4, that's after it's opening date. As some f you may know, I have just resigned from my job of 3 yrs due to some conflicts with my schedule (I'll tell 'ya, from my point of view it feels like committing suicide!) which leaves me literally exhausted due to lack of sleep. Therefor, this leaves me vulnerable to a lot of things....one, anxiety because now I don't have the means to support my myself and my family for the next few weeks or so, and of course there's depression, for leaving not only your comfort zone, but also the familiar surroundings that has always given you comfort even when your away from home, friends and colleagues who were always there to support you. So basically, I'm just missing everybody! The office, my friends, heck I'll even miss the canine units that's patrolling the buildings!

Anyways, going back to the movie..... Watching movies/ DVDs (if I'm just staying at home) is really my way of coping with stress, so I really coaxed my sister into watching Up in the Air even though I knew she prefers Johnny Depp (Alice in Wonderland) over Clooney. Well, I'm not a George Clooney fan either, but there's so much buzz going on about this film that I just simply had to feed my curiosity.

So, Ryan Bingham's (Clooney) is to fire people in behalf of the big bosses who does not have the balls to do it themselves. In a blunt way of saying it, people like him earn profits from other people's misery! He flies from one State to another, living in isolation and is obsessed about reaching his goal.....of earning 10 Million Mileage. However just like the rest of the world, his company is also a victim of corporate downsizing. Instead of sending their agents to travel in every part of the country (their all over the place!), they will use the power of the World-Wide-Web in firing people. It's like they're giving the bad news to these poor lonely souls via chat room ( how cold and mean is that?!) Not to mention Bingham has to take a newbie (Anna Kendrick, Twilight) under his wings and show her the tricks of the trade.

It's a very good film, and I myself am quite surprised that I'm actually singing it's praises. In the current Economic crisis, this film is very timely. though we Filipinos were not directly hit by it, you will feel empathy for these good and loyal employees, who unfortunately had to be "let go" by their companies. I really felt sorry for the 57 year old employee when Natalie (Kendrick) had to fire him using their new stratagem. He was reduced to sobs and tears. A man so close to retirement and who's probably expecting his pension, was forced to leave the company without...any pay I suppose. It's not that depressing I assure you and it will really be worth your money!

As I end this post, I would also like to share that as of yesterday, I was formally given a Job Offer and would start working the week after next. Watching Up In The Air was a wonderful experience, because one, they don't do movies like that anymore where in it has social and psychological impact, but also in more ways that one...it has given me good luck as well!

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment