Monday, May 3, 2010

AVATAR : Still breathtaking, even on the small screen!

I finally got a DVD copy of AVATAR a couple of days ago. It was released on the 22nd of April 2010, coinciding with the celebration of Earth Day. Since it was released in the middle of the month, I had to wait till my pay day which is at the end of the month. I was thinking... "I didn't have to join the rest of the world in buying the DVD just to show my support!" After all waiting builds up anticipation, until I finally got the a copy. Do I sound disapointed? Maybe just a bit. Don't get me wrong though, the film is just as good on TV as it was in the big screen (minus the 3D effects of course). Visual effects are still breathtaking, and very entertaining to watch, however being the movie buff that I am, I wasn't just looking forward to the movie alone...

James Cameron made it clear that they will release the film as it is with no other extras. I think that is because 20th Century Fox is gearing for a re-release some time this August, and it will include some of the deleted scenes that they were mentioning to the press. And that would be the sex scene between Neytiri and Jake Sully (exciting!). However, as I was looking about at the video store, I got curious on the movie clipboard promoting the Blu-Ray version of the film. They somehow made an impression that it has more content than the DVD. So I approached the sales lady and asked her. She confirmed that it does have extra's to it which I find rather unfair. I understand that Blu-Ray's offer a crisper image and could store more data, but what about us who cannot afford such an expensive electronic equipment? Should we just content our selves with small tidbits of left-overs?

When Cielo and I went to an appliance center last Saturday, while she waits in line I asked for the price tags on Blu-Ray players, and my conversation with the sales guy ended with him showing me all of these high end LCD/HD Television sets which are even more expensive! I told him that I would have to think about it. What?! I can't tell him the truth that I cannot even afford a decent digital camera despite my salary.

As I was saying earlier, all of these small concerns has not diminished my admiration for the film. There is an extended version of Jake Sully's (Sam Worthington) video log, expressing his confusion over his loyalties. Will he still be a hardcore Marine by following orders from Col. Quaritch? Or has he truly become a Na'vi not just by rite, but also in heart and spirit. It's nice to see Sully having moments like that as it show's more of the complexity of the character.

Again, you shouldn't miss watching AVATAR on DVD or Blu-Ray, even if it's for the nth time! It is very much worth the wait and you will definitely get you money's worth as well! Hell, I might even consider buying a Blu-Ray just so I could get a Blu-Ray copy of AVATAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment